As you sip your morning coffee and look outside, you notice the sunshine streaming through your windows…and also the smudges, streaks, and spots that have been accumulating on the glass. Suddenly, the world outside doesn’t look as bright and beautiful.
What to Know Before Hiring a Window Cleaner
Hiring a professional window cleaner is a decision that should not be taken lightly. Before you plunge into a Google search for “window cleaners near me,” take some time to arm yourself with crucial information to ensure you hire the right professional for the job.
- Research: Reading online reviews is an excellent first step. Look for comments about the cleaners’ professionalism, punctuality, and, of course, the quality of the cleaning. It can also be valuable to examine any responses from the company to negative reviews. This can provide insight into how they handle criticism and whether they’re committed to customer satisfaction.
- Word of Mouth: Don’t underestimate the power of personal recommendations. Your neighbor, friend, or family member might know a reputable window cleaner. Personal recommendations can often be more reliable than online reviews because they come from people you know and trust.
- Licensing and Insurance: It’s important to ensure that the window cleaning company you hire is licensed and insured. This protects you and your property in case anything goes wrong during the cleaning process. Remember, window cleaners often work at heights using ladders; you want to make sure they’re covered, both literally and figuratively, in case of accidents.
- Services and Costs: Understanding the services offered and the associated costs is crucial before hiring a window cleaner. Do they clean both inside and outside of the windows? Do they clean screens and sills? Are hard-to-reach windows, such as those on upper floors or difficult angles, included in the standard service, or is there an additional cost? Being clear about these details can help you avoid unexpected costs and ensure you’re getting the service you need.
- Experience and Specialization: Consider the company’s experience and areas of specialization. If your property has unique features, such as stained glass windows, you’ll want to make sure your cleaner has the expertise to handle them without causing damage.
- Safety Measures: Ask about the safety measures they have in place. Professional window cleaners should adhere to safety guidelines to protect themselves and your property.
- Scheduling: Determine how flexible they are with scheduling. Can they accommodate your preferred timings? How much notice do they require for bookings and cancellations?
- Environmentally Friendly Practices: If environmental concerns are important to you, inquire about the cleaning solutions they use. Many companies now offer eco-friendly options.
- Guarantees: Finally, check if the company provides any guarantee on their work. If you’re not satisfied with the cleaning, will they come back to fix it?
Taking the time to research and ask these questions will not only ensure you hire a professional who can meet your specific needs but also provide peace of mind knowing your property is in safe and capable hands.
How to Prepare for a Window Cleaning Appointment
Once you’ve chosen a window cleaner and scheduled an appointment, there are a few things you can do to prepare. Clear the area around your windows, both inside and outside. This not only makes it easier for the cleaner to do their job, but it also protects your belongings from accidental damage.
If you have pets, consider how they might react to a stranger in the house or at the windows. You might need to keep them in another room during the cleaning.
Finally, think about your own privacy and security. You might want to put away any valuable items or personal documents before the cleaner arrives.
What to Expect During the Cleaning
The window cleaning process is a comprehensive one and it typically follows these steps:
- Screen Removal and Cleaning: The cleaning process often begins with the removal and cleaning of any window screens. Screens can accumulate a significant amount of dust and grime and cleaning them first ensures that they won’t immediately dirty the windows once they’re clean.
- Exterior Window Cleaning: Next the outside of the windows are cleaned. Using professional grade cleaning solutions and tools, all dirt, grime and streaks are removed restoring the shine and clarity of the glass.
- Interior Window Cleaning: After cleaning the outside the inside of the windows are attended to. The cleaners ensure that they are careful during the process to avoid any mess inside the home or business.
The duration of the cleaning process depends on several factors including the number of windows their size the degree of dirtiness and any additional services required. It could take anywhere from a few hours to a full day. It’s always a good idea to ask for an estimated finish time to better plan the day.
However it’s important to set realistic expectations for the outcome of a window cleaning. While window cleaning can significantly enhance the clarity and appearance of the windows it cannot fix issues like permanent staining or etching often resulting from hard water, oxidation or incorrect cleaning techniques in the past. Similarly physical damage such as scratches on the glass cannot be resolved through cleaning.
Window cleaning can make a huge difference in the appearance and clarity of windows but it’s not a solution for all issues. If windows have permanent stains or physical damage additional services or solutions may be necessary. Always consult with the window cleaner about the expected results and potential solutions for any issues identified. This ensures that the most is made out of the service and the windows’ potential is fully realized.
In conclusion hiring a professional window cleaner can make a huge difference in the clarity of your view and the appearance of your home.
And with a bit of knowledge, preparation and regular maintenance you can ensure your windows stay clean and functional for years to come.
Happy window gazing!